Monday, August 17, 2009

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday

So after Phil showed me the city and surrounding area I took a nap. It was a fabulous nap. I had big intentions of going out to eat and then hitting up some pubs, clubs, dubs, rubs, and a bar or two. Supper was missed because I was in a deep slumber.
I arose from the dead and hit the ground running. I started out down George Street and found this chill bar that had some happening music and a bunch of young people. It looked promising. Eden Bar and Restaurant. I strolled into Eden and there was a sign out front that said "Happy Birthday Anna!" Awesome ... sounds like a fun crowd. At the bar I ordered a beer, nothing special. The bartender got it for me and walked off. I stood there for a minute or so sipping my beer and noticed that nobody else was paying either. Even better ... I dropped in on a private birthday party!
I chatted with a few people at the bar in hopes that I could make quick friends and take advantage of the situation. Nobody seemed to want to be my friend except for one guy that said he wouldn't tell anybody I was mooching a beer or two. He would have done the same.
After enjoying my beer and getting shot down by lots of people I was about to leave and find a better place to fit in. A knock-out girl came up to me and gave me a nasty look and asked who I knew there. I hadn't gotten any names (idiot ...) so I said that I would like to wish Anna a happy birthday before I left. Apparently my American accent gave me away (or that rat bastard that said he wouldn't tell) and she very directly said I should leave. Being persistent I asked to say hello to Anna and asked which one she was and I was rudely told that she was busy and I was leaving. Fair enough. I didn't need to be roughed up by big Australian blokes. Free beer ... check!
Walking down the street there wasn't much going on so I decided that my next plan of attack would be up to Kings Cross. Phil told me that I should watch my back and not get too drunk. I guess Kings Cross is known to be a bit rowdy ... I can handle myself, right? On the train I met a few guys that were going out. One had just graduated from Uni and the other was just out with friends. They were wearing suits out on a Saturday night just to stand out and have fun so I thought that this could be a fun time tagging along.
Johann and Daniel. Apparently Daniel is a bit shy (computer engineer) and Johann asked him for 50 dollars in 5's. at the beginning of the night. As it turns out he kept them and would only give them back if he made an "attempt" with a group of girls. Now that's motivation!!! 5 bucks a pop! If at the end of the night he did not try 10 times he lost the remainder of the $$. Needless to say we had fun.
Surprisingly enough we only went to 1 bar. Eye Bar. It is the equivilent of the Lou in Manhattan. People only go there for cheap drinks to get drunk before going on to the next one. We actually saw them pouring the cheapest vodka into the expensive bottles. They weren't trying to hide it either! Yes, I had 2 shots. Yes, as you can imagine, it tasted terrible. The tequila wasn't good either. They were meeting a friend out and we ended up meeting a bunch of people. The group 3 of us multiplied to 8 by the end of the night.
After hanging out and having a great time they decided that some McDonalds was in order before hitting the next bar. It was just across the street so very convenient. At McDonalds we were enjoying a nice, fancy meal and it is customary that if you don't order pickles and they are on your sandwich to throw them at the wall and make them stick. Some guy thought it would be cool to throw one at Johann and make it stick to his suit. The night just turned ugly......... Spilled drinks, food on the floor, many words exchanged in a few different languages, and they were headed outside for a throw-down. I was just standing there off to the side because the last thing I needed was an arrest record in Sydney or better yet a hospital visit. Punches were exchanged, shirts ripped, a bit of blood and it was broken up and everybody went their separate directions. Didn't see that one coming .... I decided that it was time to call it a night while I was making smart decisions. My new friends Claire and Andy (from Ireland) and I hired a cab and headed off. The rest of the evening was calm but oh the fun times ... :)

Here is a picture of my new friends.


1 comment: