Thursday, September 3, 2009

The other 5 dives

So I got 9 dives in total with this trip (+ 1 snorkeling session). The remaining 5 "pleasure" dives were exactly that. We had rules that we were to follow from the dive master. If we broke them then we couldn't dive the next dive. The rules were pertaining to depth, remaining air when we got on the boat, and the time that we were to get back on board.
My first of 5 was exciting! I had no dive buddy since my training dives I was partnered up with an instructor. He was going out with some other people for additional training. Once again, the odd-man out. Finally someone volunteered to be my buddy. Sebastian and I hit the water and of course we broke the rules. Our max depth was to be 14 m and I hit 18.1 m! Oops! I was chasing a fish and forgot the rule. Luckily the dive master was lenient on this dive. After this one I was sure to follow the rules.
We saw tons of different kinds of fish. I don't know what they were all called but very cool. The experience is very difficult to describe. My best attempt is to say go to an aquarium and step into it and swim around! There were sharks, turtles, "Nemo", rays, barracudas, and just about every tropical thing you can think of. I only had a camera on 2 of my dives, which, is enough for me because I don't want to live life through the lens of a camera. I like to take in the view and enjoy it. Perhaps a bit selfish because I can't share the exact picture with others but that's too bad.

On the other dives I had Mario as a dive buddy twice and David as a buddy once. He is the one you will see in the pictures.
We did a night dive. Since it was my first night dive it had to be "guided" by an instructor. This kind-of sucked. At night you can't see as much but you can get closer to fish because they can't see you either. The big down-side was we had 7 people following the instructor. I was in the middle of the pack with 2 other people and we spent more time looking at the people's fins in front of us than looking at fish and coral. Next time it will be better when I can go out with just a buddy. "Torches" are a necessity. It is definately a different experience when it is at night and I would like to try it again.
Here are the photos from my camera. I will be uploading the batch from the other camera that I rented. Please stand by ...
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/sheldonbucl/DivePicturesMyCamera?feat=directlink
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment